Record Clearance (Expungement)


Old Convictions





A criminal conviction can cause employment, immigration, or professional license problems. Old convictions do not go away on their own but can be cleared (expunged) from your record if you have paid your fine, are no longer on probation, and have completed the other requirements of your case. In most courts, the process requires filing a petition under California Penal Code section 1203.4 and then attending a short court hearing. You do not need to attend if you have an attorney attend on your behalf. The whole process takes about a month. Some courts do not require a hearing and allow you to submit a request and get a decision back from the court by mail. The process is worth doing if you want to remove an old charge from your record. It will not go away on its own and can remain for many years if you do not request that it be cleared.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call

Paul Walton, Attorney

(510) 623-4100 

Free Consultation